Please visit my new website:

http://www.janelgradowski.com

I will be blogging regularly there as well as sharing recipes and news about my books. Stop by and say hello!

17 October, 2012

Blink, Blink, Hello?

This blog has been very quiet for many months. Yet, astonishingly, people are still visiting. I am often amazed when I finally log into Blogger and see the amount of people that have visited. To those of you who are still here, thank-you for sticking around.

I have been working on a writing project, but only a few, close friends know much about it. Right now it is like a delicious cupcake that I keep hidden in my desk drawer, because I'm unwilling to share, at least for the moment. I have been taking my writing seriously for quite a few years, but nothing in the past compares to what I am doing now. This is a metamorphosis, of sorts, that I'm going through. And I can't wait to share it all with you, but I'm not quite ready to break open the cocoon. I need to love and nourish the "butterfly" a bit more.

I have been scribbling ideas in notebooks all summer. The majority of the books I read now are not fiction. The books are about writing, how to improve the end product or streamline a process. Finally, I extracted enough information from those books to solve a problem with my work in progress. I poked at this story several times over the summer, but a few weeks ago dove into it again. This time I was armed with some valuable literary weapons...and the story consumed my life.

I can say that the work I have been doing over the last few weeks is like nothing I have ever done before. I feel a physical change when I shift from writer to mom/wife/head household technician. I've had Campbell's condensed tomato soup, made with skim milk and a generous sprinkle of dried Italian herbs, for lunch many times lately. Not because I really enjoy it, but because I can drink it out of a coffee mug. I don't have to stop working like I would if I ate something that required utensils. Often I have turned the television on in the afternoon, but not because I want to watch the soap operas. I use it as a visual time clock of sorts. When The Bold & The Beautiful comes on I need to start winding down my writing, make the shift to mom and not forget to pick the kids up from school. I write down chores, like washing laundry of vacuuming, in my date book so I won't forget them. I've been living with the characters in my fictional world so much I have developed an intense craving to interact, face-to-face, with people. Earlier this week I got back in touch with some old friends. I was so relieved and grateful that they welcomed me with  their beautiful smiles.

Last night, in the middle of the presidential debate, I crossed the finish line in this leg of my writing journey. Today, I am taking a mental health break. I loaded Cooper into my pickup and we ran errands. I walked around the farmer's market and bought healthy, nourishing vegetables. Then I stopped at the office supply store and stocked up on legal pads. All of them have fancy patterned paper covering the top binding and they make me smile. After that I stopped for a real treat, a Starbuck's Pumpkin Spice Latte. Along the way I finalized my plans for dinner. Right now I am finishing off that latte, writing this post and just relaxing. I have more work to do, but for today, I'm taking a much needed break.

What I really want to know is: What are you doing today?